Six Tips To Help Plan a Successful Move
Moving? Find Professional Tips at Moving.org
ALEXANDRIA, VA — Professional movers successfully move more than 35 million Americans each year, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. More than 11 percent of Americans move to new homes annually, with 4.7 million moves across state lines and 800,000 of those moves handled by a professional mover. About half of all moves happen from June through September, so with National Moving Month in May kicking off the busy summer season, now is the time for consumers to explore their moving options prior to their move.
The American Moving & Storage Association, which advocates on behalf of consumers and moving and storage companies across the country, offers the ProMover certification for movers who meet high standards for safety and professionalism. More than 2,700 movers have been certified.
Here are six quick tips to help plan a successful move:
1. Do some comparison shopping. Even if you are considering doing the move yourself, you should get at least three written estimates so you can make an informed choice. These are free estimates, so you have nothing to lose by finding out if a professional move is the best option for you.
2. Many movers now offer estimates based on videos and photos that you can submit online right from the comfort of your own home. Make sure you show the mover everything that needs to be moved, from the attic to the basement, and include any sheds, garages and storage areas. You want to make sure the mover has a complete picture of everything that will be moved to get the most accurate estimates possible.
3. Reputable interstate movers will always give you estimates in writing and they must, by law, provide you with federal publications that explain the moving process as well as your rights and responsibilities. If the mover asks for a large down payment or full payment in advance, that is usually a warning sign.
4. Communication is key, so make sure the mover has your cell phone number to reach you during the move. Also make sure you have the driver’s full name and truck number.
5. If you don’t understand something, ask questions. If the moving company can’t or won’t answer your questions, you might want to look for another mover.
6. Consider a certified professional mover. For free estimates at no obligation to you, go to Moving.org.
“Hiring a professional mover is a smart decision that can save you time and effort while providing the best protection for your household goods,” said Scott Michael, president and CEO of the American Moving & Storage Association. “Consumers should choose a moving company they can trust, and that company should be a certified ProMover. You can find a full list of ProMovers plus a wealth of free tips and information at Moving.org.
The American Moving & Storage Association, home of the ProMover certification program, is the national trade association representing the nation’s moving and storage companies, which provide household goods moving services, specialized transportation for sensitive freight such as computers and trade show exhibits, and warehouse storage services. The association has approximately 3,500 members, including domestic and international companies and industry suppliers, and supports programs and activities that promote consumer protection, professional development, safety, and operational efficiency. Find out more at Moving.org.
Premier Relocations is licensed and insured, maintains an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, and has earned ProMover and Michigan ProMover certification through the American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA). The company annually earns the ‘Super Service Award’ through Angie’s List, for customer satisfaction surveys ranked in the top five percent.